Racism Against Natives Dooms Mark Twain Honor
A state panel in Nevada has opted to not name a Lake Tahoe cove for Mark Twain, saying the author was racist against Native Americans.
The request to rename a cove on the lake’s northeast shore for Samuel Clemens—Twain was a pen name—has been indefinitely tabled by the Nevada State Board on Geographic Names.
As a major Mark Twain fan, this is kind of a bummer, but you really can’t argue the point. Twain’s relationship with Natives was…well, “problematic” is putting it nicely. It’s a shame, but there you go.
- magikandheart likes this
- catmaster1697 likes this
- kanakaknowledge likes this
- rentango likes this
- betsumei likes this
- kellyluck reblogged this from nativeamericannews and added:
- daughterofmystics likes this
- talesofscienceandlove likes this
- fridaynitefinest reblogged this from nativeamericannews and added:
- majestrixstormbringer likes this
- tr0tskitty reblogged this from nativeamericannews
- glacier-peak likes this
- dsandra reblogged this from nativeamericannews
- dsandra likes this
- degenerate-cultural-marxist reblogged this from nativeamericannews
- zoddamnit likes this
- nativeamericannews posted this